October 6, 2015
HARRISON TOWNSHIP TRUSTEE MEETING
October 6, 2015
REGULAR MEETING CALL TO ORDER:
Chairman Keith Peters called the Regular Trustee Meeting of October 6, 2015 to order at 7:00pm at the Harrison Township Building, 2746 Weigand Road, Lockbourne, Ohio. Attending were Trustee Keith Peters, Trustee Doug Clark, Trustee Paul Welsh, Fiscal Officer MaryAnn Elliott, Fire Chief Eric Edgington and Zoning Inspector Joe DeFelice. Road/Cemetery Superintendent Kevin Hulse arrived at 7:50. Emily DeShaies and Laurie Barbee from the Pickaway County Health Department, Fire Captain Shawn Davidson and Resident Bill Welsh were also in attendance.
HEARING OF VISITORS:
- Emily DeShaies and Laurie Barbee explained different services that the Health Department offers. They also explained that they are required to research the sewer system of every housing unit in the county and offer permits for those systems. Residents will need to bring systems up to the current codes.
- Matt Rayburn has agreed to serve on the zoning commission to replace Jim Wells’ term through 2016.
A RESOLUTION TO APPOINT MATT RAYBURN TO THE ZONING COMMISSION THROUGH DECEMBER 2016. Mr. Welsh moved and Mr. Clark seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R15-67.
- The Zoning Commission held a Public Hearing on September 28 to consider the proposed amendment from National Lime & Stone to rezone parcel D1200030030400 from Farm Residential to General Business District. The Zoning Commission recommends that the Trustees accept as amended: a Planned Business for quarrying and mining with a hot mix asphalt and ready mix concrete plant. Recommendation is contingent upon approval of the preferred entrance only. The Trustees will hold a public hearing at 6:30 on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 on this matter.
- Kevin asked about purchasing a new type of grass seed for the cemetery that is supposed to be better. The Trustees approved purchasing this grass seed and a spreader for not more than $150.00.
- The light on the 2003 Chevy Truck needs to be replaced. The Trustees approved this repair.
- The Trustees discussed having Craig Stevenson lay out the new section of the cemetery. Craig will do this over the winter months and we will provide the stakes and numbered discs.
A RESOLUTION TO APPROVE HIRING CRAIG STEVENSON TO MAP AND NUMBER ONE-THIRD OF THE NEW SECTION OF THE CEMETERY OR APPROXIMATELY 200 BURIAL LOTS FOR APPROXIMATELY $2000.00. Mr. Clark moved and Mr. Welsh seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R15-68.
FIRE CHIEF’S REPORT:
- Dustin Widmayer will not be returning to work part-time for the department. He has resigned.
- Alex Keefe has been hired by Franklin Township and will be leaving soon.
- The AFG grant has been approved and FEMA will make an electronic deposit of $56,728.00 into our checking account. This money will need to be moved to pay for the two monitors from Physio Control for a total of $59,712.53. The difference will be paid from Fire: Machinery, Equipment and Furniture.
A RESOLUTION TO APPROVE A SUPPLEMENTAL APPROPRIATION FROM THE FEMA FUND TO CREATE A PURCHASE ORDER TO PHYSIO CONTROL FOR $56,728.00 TO PAY FOR THE TWO MONITORS. Mr. Clark moved and Mr. Welsh seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R15-69.
- The Chief called Fire Chief’s at departments that have a Smeal Engine and every one of them stated that they are very happy with Smeal Engines and would never change to a different company. The Chief would like to order the engine soon. It will take about a year to build it.
A RESOLUTION TO APPROVE THE BID PROPOSAL FROM SMEAL FIRE APPARATUS COMPANY FOR THE PURCHASE OF A NEW FIRE ENGINE FOR $478,659.00. Mr. Welsh moved and Mr. Clark seconded and the Trustees voted. Roll call: Mr. Peters, yes; Mr. Welsh, yes; Mr. Clark, yes. With three yes votes R15-70 was approved.
- Shawn addressed the issue of why so many of our firefighters are leaving the department. He stated that over half of the full time firefighters are applying at other departments and he has questioned them as to why they are leaving. The issue is their salaries. The Trustees will look at the budget and see if anything can be done at this time.
- The Roese Brothers sent an estimate for $5800.00 to berm Miller Road. The Trustees discussed this and decided to table the decision until the next meeting.
- The election will be held at the township building on November 3rd. The Trustees will hold the Trustee meeting at the Fire Department.
ACTION ON MINUTES:
September 15, 2015 Regular meeting: Mr. Clark moved and Mr. Welsh seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of September 15, 2015 and the Trustees voted with two yes votes. Motion carried. Mr. Peters abstained from voting as he was absent from the September 15th meeting.
FISCAL OFFICER’S REPORT:
A RESOLUTION TO APPROVE AND PAY THE ATTACHED LIST OF BILLS AS THE LAWFUL OBLIGATIONS OF HARRISON TOWNSHIP. Mr. Clark moved and Mr. Welsh seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R15-71.
Mr. Peters submitted his resignation as a trustee as he has moved out of Harrison Township, effective October 7, 2015.
A RESOLUTION TO APPOINT R. JOSEPH DEFELICE AS A HARRISON TOWNSHIP TRUSTEE, EFFECTIVE OCTOBER 20, 2015 TO FILL THE VACANCY OF KEITH E PETERS IN THE TERM TO EXPIRE DECEMBER 2017. Mr. Clark moved and Mr. Welsh seconded and the Trustees voted. Roll call: Mr. Clark, yes; Mr. Welsh, yes. With two yes votes R15-72 was approved.
With no further comments and all scheduled matters attended to, Mr. Clark moved and Mr. Welsh seconded the motion to adjourn the October 6, 2015 Board of Trustee Meeting. All were in favor and the meeting was adjourned at 8:05pm.