June 13, 2016

HARRISON TOWNSHIP ZONING COMMISSION

MEETING MINUTES

JUNE 13, 2016

The Harrison Township Zoning Commission met at 7:00pm on Monday, June 13, 2016 at the Harrison Township Building.  The meeting was called to hear, review and vote on rezoning 26.831 acres on St Rt 762 E (Ashville Pike) from Farming/Residential to Planned Business.  The property owners, Preston and Jennifer Vance, are requesting this change.

Chairman Kelly Spriggs called the meeting to order at 7:00pm.  Present were:  Kelly Spriggs, Ronde Cook-Brushart, Lisa Darnell, Matt Rayburn, Trevor Younkin, Debi Hulse and Doug Czako.  Also present were:  Kevin Hulse, John Darnell, Gwen Marlowe, Lonnie Marlowe, Preston & Jennifer Vance, Craig Stevenson, Keila Marlowe and John Farthing.

Debi read the Hearing Ground Rules and the Legal Notice which was published in the Circleville Herald.

Craig Stevenson, from Harral & Stevenson, spoke for the Vances.  Craig Stevenson prepared the plan for the Vances.  He presented that the Vances want to move their existing business to the property on Ashville Pike.  He outlined what the Vances plan to do with the property.  He also outlined the plan.

Preston Vance spoke.  He stated that the business would be Semi Trailer Repair.  His Grandfather started the business in 1977 and he had taken over and wants the business to continue on one location.  He grew up in the Ashville area and wants to live here. 

Craig Stevenson said that the site is now Agriculture.  It is in the CEDA for Flex Industrial.  This business supports the Industrial industry.  ODOT reported to them that the traffic into and out of this proposed site does not warrant a traffic study because it will not exceed the proposed flow of traffic.  The business will employ 10 – 15 employees.  There will be a 14,000 sq. ft. building on the front portion of the site.  There will be employee parking and a place for 2 semis to pull off the driveway and park for the drivers to enter the office.  There will also be bulk trailer storage on the premises.

The North side of the property will have a 4 – 5 foot mound for screening.  Water quality treatment for run-off will be green spaces with soils which will allow ground water to filter.  There will be a wet basin or pond in front for water run-off.  The drainage of the property flows east to West.  They will add dirt to help the flow into the retention basin.  At the present, there are 2 houses on the property.  They may keep the houses as rental houses.  The existing barns will be torn down.  There will be 6 – 8 acres of hard surface.  This will be a dustless surface.  There will be signage in front of the building. 

There will be lighting on the property.  Security level lighting will be needed.  They will use the cut-off style.  They will maintain a safety level in lighting.  The parking lot will be lit and they will use security cameras.  The hours of Operation will be Monday – Friday from 8:00am to 4:30pm. 

The business is repairing trailers.  They will work on the boxes only.  The semis will enter and drop off the boxes.  They will also perform maintenance on the boxes.  This will include servicing brakes, etc.  They will also repair damage trailers.  Semi trucks will enter and leave to pick up or drop off trailers.  The work will be done inside.  The noisiest work will be done at the rear of the building.  The dumpster for scrap will be at the back of the building.  The Vances do work for corporate clients only. 

There will be landscaping.  There will be a mound on the North side.  Trees and shrubs in front of the building will be added in the green space.  The South side border will be vegetation.  8.5 acres will remain farm land.  It is farmed at the present time and will continue.  The retention pond overflow will drain into the drainage ditch in front of the property.  The County Engineers will do a final inspection and okay for the project.  There will be regular inspections of the property and routine maintenance will be performed. 

FAA regulations regarding ponds will be followed.  The Guidance document of ponds will be followed.  They are planning to use grading and vegetation that the water fowl do not like.  They are not planning on applying to become part of the JEDD.  Any oil and grease on the parking lot should be taken care of by the amended soils in the green space in the parking lot.  The filters will catch debris. 

There were no Proponents.

Opponents to the property were allowed to speak.

Keila Marlowe spoke.  She questioned the issue of the retention ponds being a breeding ground for mosquitoes and increased mosquitoes.  The pond will turn the water over itself without a fountain.  Water fountains could be added if there is a problem.  She also questioned if the CEDA is different than the JEDD.  This property is in and land-usage plan for the CEDA.  This property fits in the Land-usage plan.  She also questioned the increase in traffic.  ODOT did not require a traffic study.  She asked about the repair area of the building.  There will be 3 bays.  These will be pull-thru bays.

John Darnell spoke.  He questioned the vegetation on the South side of the property.  They are planning on using existing vegetation on the Southside and no visual barriers are planned.  He addressed EPA guidelines.  John Farthing, attorney for the Vances, stated that guidelines will be taken care of.

Keila Marlowe asked about security lighting.  The lot will be 6.60 acres.  There will be lighting.  Cut-off lighting will be used.  The Consulting Firm will determine the lighting.

Gwen Marlowe spoke.  She has a concern about noise and lighting.

Discussion among Commission:

Doug spoke about the houses on the property.  The rentals would not be part of the planned business.  This would be looked at.  The County Planning meeting is tomorrow (June 24, 2016).

The Prosecutor’s Office has ruled that the Land Usage Plan should be taken into consideration.  This meets the land usage plan.

Rentals:  Do the Vances need to split the property?  John Farthing asked if the rentals could be part of the planned business.  This will need to be sent to the Prosecutor’s Office for clarification.

Trevor asked if the property on the maps is to scale.  Craig stated that they are to scale.  He thinks vegetation should be added to the Southside.  He asked about lights on the building.  Will there be motion lighting on the building?

Kelly spoke.  She made a motion to table the discussion and the vote of this proposal to the July 11, 2016 meeting at 8:00pm.  This will allow feedback from the Pickaway County Planning to get back to the Commission.  We will also have information back from the Prosecutor’s Office.  Matt 2nd the motion.

There was a suggestion that a modified plan showing vegetation screenings on the North and South sides and the removal of the rental properties be brought back to the July meeting.

A vote was held on tabling the discussion and vote of this proposal to the July 11, 2016 meeting at 8:00pm.  This will allow the Zoning Commission to receive feedback from Pickaway County Planning and the Prosecutor’s Office.  This will also allow the Zoning Commission to see the suggested modifications to the plan.

Voting:         Ronde          Aye

                   Lisa             Abstain      

                   Matt            Aye

                   Trevor         Aye

                   Kelly            Aye

The motion was carried by a vote of 4 ayes and 1 abstaining.

The next scheduled meeting will be Monday, July 11, 2016 at 8:00pm.  Ronde moved to adjourn and Kelly 2nd the motion.  Meeting adjourned.

Debi Hulse

Harrison Township Zoning Commission Secretary