February 20, 2018
HARRISON TOWNSHIP TRUSTEE MEETING
February 20, 2018
REGULAR MEETING CALL TO ORDER:
Chairman Joe DeFelice called the Regular Trustee Meeting of February 20, 2018 to order with the Pledge of Allegiance at 7:00pm at the Harrison Township Building, 2746 Weigand Road, Lockbourne, Ohio. Attending were Trustee Joe DeFelice, Trustee Mike Freeman, Trustee Bill Welsh, Fiscal Officer MaryAnn Elliott, Fire Chief Eric Edgington, Zoning Inspector Dale Hoover and Road/Cemetery Superintendent Kevin Hulse. Darryl Ward and Firefighters Beau Ramey and Jay Roof were also in attendance.
HEARING OF VISITORS:
- Firefighter Beau Ramey presented signatures of all firefighters currently enrolled in the OP&F 457 Plan with Security Benefit requesting that the Township change the broker to LPL Financial.
A RESOLUTION TO APPROVE THE FIREFIGHTER’S OP&F 457 PLAN ENROLLING IN THE SAME PLAN WITH LPL FINANCIAL AND ENDING THE 457 PLAN AGREEMENT WITH SECURITY BENEFIT. Mr. Welsh moved and Mr. DeFelice seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R18-18.
- The Zoning Appeals Board approved the variance for the building at MS Trucking on Picway Road.
- Dale spoke with Preston Vance regarding the vegetative screenings around the perimeter of his property. He will get those planted as soon as the weather allows.
- Mr. DeFelice asked Darryl Ward to attend the meeting to discuss job responsibilities for the roads and cemetery while Kevin is on medical leave starting tomorrow. Mr. DeFelice made a motion to appoint Darryl Ward as the temporary employee in charge of the roads and cemetery operations for the next six weeks in Kevin Hulse’s absence. Dr. Freeman seconded the motion and the Trustees voted with three affirmative votes to approve the motion.
- Mr. DeFelice moved that in Kevin’s absence, Darryl be given the Roads VISA card (with a $100.00 purchasing limit without prior approval from a Trustee), the Roads Cell Phone, and the Roads County Radio. The F-250 Roads truck is to be kept at the garage at the cemetery when not in use. Dr. Freeman seconded this motion and the Trustees voted with three affirmative votes to approve the motion.
- Mr. DeFelice responded to a resident who complained that his mailbox was hit by a snowplow. After meeting with the resident, he agreed that it was the snow that had knocked the box over, not the snowplow.
- Mr. DeFelice instructed Kevin and Darryl to call OUPS before installing any of the new signs.
- Sam’s Excavating submitted an estimate to repair Hoover Road just north of SR 752 for $6400.00. Mr. DeFelice is going to check with the County Engineer’s office to see if they can help with this repair.
- Darryl asked if he could get cold mix to patch the roads. Mr. DeFelice moved to allow Darryl to purchase 1000 pounds of cold mix and Mr. Welsh seconded the motion. The Trustees voted with three affirmative votes to approve the motion.
- The intersection at Duvall Road and Lockbourne Eastern Road is starting to collapse due to heavy truck traffic. Mr. DeFelice met with Craig Stevenson of Harral and Stevenson and Craig explained that there is M-1 money available from the state to help with projects like this. He suggested getting Madison Township and the JEDDS of Harrison and Madison Township to join together to apply for a grant. Craig would do all of the grant work. Mr. DeFelice will attend the Madison Township Trustee meeting next Monday to see if they will join us on this project.
FIRE CHIEF’S REPORT:
- The Pickaway County Safety council Dinner is March 13 at 11:30am. The Chief and Mr. DeFelice will attend.
- Tim Campbell is leaving rotation and would like to stay on as a reserve. Mr. Welsh moved to allow him to stay on as a reserve since he is already outfitted and part of the department. Mr. DeFelice seconded the motion and the Trustees voted with three affirmative votes to approve the motion.
- The Chief presented the name of Adam Moran as a new hire part-time firefighter/medic. He can work rotation on One Unit.
A RESOLUTION TO HIRE ADAM MORAN AS A PART-TIME ROTATION FIREFIGHTER ON ONE UNIT, STARTING AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Mr. Welsh moved and Mr. DeFelice seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R18-19.
- The Trustees asked the Chief to get cost estimates for installing an outside fire escape at the fire station.
- The General Election on November 6, 2018 conflicts with the Trustee meeting. Mr. DeFelice moved that the November 6th meeting be moved to Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 7:00pm. Mr. Welsh seconded the motion and the Trustees voted with three affirmative votes.
- The Ohio Public Entity Consortium has asked for a letter stating when the Trustees want to close this account. Mr. DeFelice moved that OPEC be notified to close the account as of March 31, 2018 as all 2017 insurance claims should have been received by that date. Mr. Welsh seconded the motion and the Trustees voted with three affirmative votes to pass the motion.
- The Fiscal Officer received a plan for the Ross, Pickaway, Highland & Fayette County Solid Waste Management District. Dr. Freeman will review this plan and accompanying documents and make a recommendation for action to the Trustees at the next meeting.
- The Township received a check from the County Commissioners for $5000.00 as our portion of the sales tax exemption from the Northpoint Building Project. The Fiscal Officer inquired as to the amount the county received for this exemption but has not heard back from the auditor.
- The Zoning Secretary was asked to be present at this meeting for her performance review and to discuss her job description. Because she was not present, the Trustees asked the Fiscal Officer to send her the job description and required forms to be reviewed and signed and ask her to attend one of the March Trustee meetings to discuss these items.
ACTION ON MINUTES:
February 6, 2018 Regular Meeting: Mr. Welsh moved and Mr. DeFelice seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of February 6, 2018 and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve the motion.
FISCAL OFFICER’S REPORT:
A RESOLUTION TO APPROVE AND PAY THE ATTACHED LIST OF BILLS AS THE LAWFUL OBLIGATIONS OF HARRISON TOWNSHIP. Mr. Welsh moved and Dr. Freeman seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R18-20.
With no further comments and all scheduled matters attended to, Mr. Welsh moved and Mr. DeFelice seconded the motion to adjourn the February 20, 2018 Board of Trustee Meeting. All were in favor and the meeting was adjourned at 8:40pm.