December 15, 2015
HARRISON TOWNSHIP TRUSTEE MEETING
December 15, 2015
REGULAR MEETING CALL TO ORDER:
Trustee Doug Clark called the Regular Trustee Meeting of December 15, 2015 to order at 7:00pm at the Harrison Township Building, 2746 Weigand Road, Lockbourne, Ohio. Attending were Trustee Doug Clark, Trustee Joe DeFelice, Trustee Paul Welsh, Fiscal Officer MaryAnn Elliott, Fire Chief Eric Edgington and Road/Cemetery Superintendent Kevin Hulse. Zoning Inspector Doug Czako was absent. Also present were Bill and Carol Welsh, Dean and Iris Darst, Fire Captains Shawn Davidson and Chad Noggle and Firefighters Roger Fitzpatrick, Beau Ramey, Jason Welsh, Colt Cline, Jim Rinaldi, Jeremiah Withers and Jason Hackett.
- Mr. DeFelice asked if a letter had been sent regarding the Renick house on SR 23. The clerk replied that she had sent a letter to the building department in June and a copy of the letter to the health department after they attended the Trustee meeting in October and said they could help with this. No reply has been received from either department.
FIRE CHIEF’S REPORT:
- The Chief asked to set up a special meeting to meet with the architect from NAI Equities regarding the Fire Station Remodel Project. The Trustees chose to meet with Bruce Wisecarver at the Township Building on Tuesday, January 12 at 2pm to discuss the remodel project.
- The Chief asked about paying the paramedic incentive of $1000.00 to Matt Scholl for passing his paramedic certification.
A RESOLUTION TO PAY MATTHEW SCHOLL $1000.00 PARAMEDIC INCENTIVE PAY FOR PASSING HIS PARAMEDIC CERTIFICATION. Mr. DeFelice moved and Mr. Clark seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R15-92.
- There was also discussion regarding paying the paramedic incentive to part time firefighters who receive their paramedic certification. The Trustees would like to be consistent with what has been done previously and asked if this has been done in the past. The Chief will check and report back regarding this.
At 7:06pm Chief Edgington asked to go into executive session to discuss personnel matters. Mr. DeFelice made a motion to go into executive session. Mr. Clark seconded the motion and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to enter into executive session.
At 7:13pm Mr. DeFelice made a motion to leave executive session. Mr. Welsh seconded the motion and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to leave executive session.
The chief asked if he could purchase gift cards for the firefighters. He would like to give a $20.00 card to each full time firefighter and a $10.00 gift card to each part time firefighter. The total would be $480.00 to be paid from Other Expenses. Mr. DeFelice moved to approve the purchase of the gift cards for $480.00. Mr. Welsh seconded the motion and the Trustees voted with three yes votes.
A RESOLUTION TO HIRE ROBERT WALL AS A FULL TIME FIREFIGHTER AS OF JANUARY 10, 2016 CONTINGENT ON PASSING THE OP&FPF PHYSICAL AND STRESS TEST. Mr. DeFelice moved and Mr. Welsh seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R15-93.
A RESOLUTION TO HIRE LACEY PERIGO AS A FULL TIME FIREFIGHTER AS OF JANUARY 10, 2016 CONTINGENT ON PASSING THE OP&FPF PHYSICAL AND STRESS TEST. Mr. DeFelice moved and Mr. Welsh seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R15-94.
- CCI wants the road mowing tractor to look at the problems and give us a quote to fix it. The Trustees told Kevin he can take the tractor to CCI for an estimate.
- Paul Pence has contacted Kevin about fixing a cement catch basin on Bulen Pierce Road. Kevin said it is broken and he’s not sure how to fix it. Mr. DeFelice will go out to look at it with Kevin.
- Kevin asked if we could increase the price of the cemetery lots and burials. Mr. DeFelice asked to table the discussion until next year. The Trustees agreed to discuss this at a later date.
- Kevin asked for Christmas Eve, New Year’s Eve and two hours on Thursday, December 17 as vacation to finish his vacation time for the year.
- Mr. DeFelice received a call from Julie Erwin at 10650 Lockbourne Eastern Road saying her mailbox was knocked down by the road mower. He went out and looked and it is not set in the right location. He will offer her $15.00 for a new post. The Trustees agreed.
HEARING OF VISITORS:
- Dean and Iris Darst were inquiring about the property at 14140 Ashville Pike where the trees are being cleared. They wanted to know what is going to be done at that property. Mr. DeFelice explained that the property is zoned Farm-Residential. If the owner wants to have the property changed to a different zoning use, it would require a meeting and all property owners within 500 feet of the property would be notified of the meeting. Mrs. Darst also asked about a leaning tree that is on the property line and has not been removed but may fall on their property. Mr. DeFelice explained that would be a civil matter.
- Firefighter Shawn Davidson asked the Trustees to consider hiring another reserve firefighter. After some discussion, Mr. DeFelice made a motion to table this decision until next year. Mr. Welsh seconded the motion and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to table the decision on hiring any more reserve firefighters.
- Firefighter Shawn Davidson also questioned how the raise that was offered to the firefighters was determined. Both the Trustees and the Fiscal Officer explained that the mid-term salary increase was given to bring our starting firefighter salaries up as the last raise given in 2014 gave no increase to the starting firefighters. Those who received the largest percentage increases in 2014 received the smallest percentage this time and vice versa.
- Firefighter Beau Ramey stated that the firefighter’s union voted to accept the mid-term salary increase and no one voiced any opinions at the union meeting. He presented Trustee Paul Welsh with a plaque from the firefighters and thanked him for his twelve years as a Trustee.
OTHER BUSINESS: None
ACTION ON MINUTES:
December 1, 2015 Regular meeting: Mr. DeFelice moved and Mr. Welsh seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of December 1, 2015 and the Trustees voted with three yes votes. Motion carried.
FISCAL OFFICER’S REPORT:
A RESOLUTION TO APPROVE A SUPPLEMENTAL APPROPRIATION TO 2011-330-360-0000 AND A PURCHASE ORDER FOR $24,230.00 TO ROESE BROS. PAVING FOR THE HOOVER ROAD AT SR 752 PROJECT. Mr. Welsh moved and Mr. DeFelice seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R15-95. These funds had been approved for this project on July 7, 2015 in Resolution 2015-45.
A RESOLUTION TO APPROVE AND PAY THE ATTACHED LIST OF BILLS AS THE LAWFUL OBLIGATIONS OF HARRISON TOWNSHIP. Mr. Welsh moved and Mr. DeFelice seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R15-96.
The Trustees agreed to hold a special meeting at noon on December 31, 2015 to approve end of the year bills, sign checks and adopt the 2016 Appropriations.
With no further comments and all scheduled matters attended to, Mr. DeFelice moved and Mr. Welsh seconded the motion to adjourn the December 15, 2015 Board of Trustee Meeting. All were in favor and the meeting was adjourned at 7:50pm.